Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Baseball | [DIY] Blood [literally] , sweat and baseball keyrings

I'm proud of all my crafts that I attempt. Some more than others definitely, but still even with my worst projects, I can't help but get a goofy grin and share my creations when I'm done.
The baseball key rings is probably my favorite to make at the moment.
Not bc it's probably one of the most simple [but that sure does help] but just bc it's making something fun from something I love.
While making a set the other day, I accidently stabbed myself with the exacto knife.. so crafters heed this warning:
GO SLOW, PAY ATTENTION AND BE CAREFUL!

After almost passing out, almost throwing up [give me a break, I just STABBED myself], and after almost calling the bf to come sew me up, I was fine. I had some crocheting I needed to get done as well, but I figured I'd give my hand the rest of the night off. Literally, it looked nothing more than a papercut, but it went in my hand as far as the exacto knife is long. Ouch.
But, no blood was wasted and I finished them up the next day.
When I made more on Sunday, I went about 10x slower than usual was more efficient.

Here are the "how to's":
1) take your full grain leather covered baseball, and your exacto knife (this is what I've found to work the best... use what your comfy with), and SLOWLY pull out the laces, pulling away from your face/body.
2) Once you've pulled out all the laces, pull the two leather halves off the ball. They will be sticky, which is a good thing!
3) Take your key ring and pull the leather half through the ring, lining up the tiny holes with both halves.
4) Get your teams favorite colors (I use embroidery floss), thread the floss through your needle, tie a knot at the end of your string and go through the bottom of the top half first, so the knot is now on the "inside" of the leather [so it's concealed], then go through both layers [same hole], and slowly pull the floss through. Continue to do a whip stitch all the way around.
And boom. You now have a unique baseball leather keyring with your favorite team colors.


^ GO UVA ^

No comments:

Post a Comment