Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Baseball | DIY Laces bracelet

I enjoy ripping apart baseballs and making something from them [of course the whole time my son is watching in agony, as if he feels the pain and anguish from each ball as it's being torn apart, and questions my motive the entire time].

Once I figured out how easy and kind of fun making bracelets out of the laces was, I became a laces bracelet machine.

I keep mine simple but I've seen some that have their child's number on them, or bedazzled somehow.

[The next go around my baseball mama bff, Jeanne, and I are going to make cuffs out of the leather and bedazzle the heck out of them!]

First, I always make sure the baseballs I'm using are genuine leather.  That synthetic type, I don't know if this is just me, or what, but it doesn't seem to wanna work with you as much, not as pliable, etc.

Grab that exacto knife and CAREFULLY cut the leather around the lace, leaving enough room to where you can trim it down at the end.

Once you've cut the lace from the ball, cut the lace in half and cut off maybe an inch of the leather from the ends, so you have enough thread to 1) make a loop on one end, and 2) tie on a button of your choice.  Make sure to play with the placement of each as best as you can so it's not too loose and not too tight!  Before you put the button on and tie the loop, I soak the laces in HOT water for a few minutes, then in Vaseline for a couple days.  I did mine for a week, I'm sure you can do take it out in two days.  Wipe off the Vaseline as best you can, then pin it to a cork board, or something you can use to stretch it out straight for another day or two.



Once it's stretched out & straight, you're ready to decorate how you will, and show your support to your little league baseball or softball player!! 

Simple as that!  Enjoy!!

♡tlee

No comments:

Post a Comment